XIII Fuego Flamenco Festival
GALA Hispanic Theatre continues its 42nd season with the 13th International Fuego Flamenco Festival that brings leading flamenco artists from Spain and the United States to Washington audiences.
Fuego Flamenco XIII, with honorary producers Lynne and Joseph Horning, is an exploration of traditional Flamenco and its breadth and diversity through contemporary expressions. This year’s program includes the world premiere of Flamenco Extranjero/Foreign Flamenco by Edwin Aparicio and Aleksey Kulikov featuring the Flamenco Aparicio Dance Company and several international guest artists, and the United States premiere of Binomio, choreographed by Francisco Hidalgo and performed by his company in collaboration with the Fundación Conservatorio Flamenco Casa Patas of Madrid.
Flamenco Extranjero / Foreign Flamenco
- By the Flamenco Aparicio Dance Company.
- On Friday, November 3 at 8 pm.
- On Saturday, November 4 at 8 pm.
- On Sunday, November 5 at 2 pm.
Edwin Aparicio, curator of GALA’s Fuego Flamenco Festival since its inception, presents unique stories from the perspective of non-Spaniards who chose Flamenco as their life’s passion and career and who have earned respect and acclaim for their mastery of the art form at home and in Spain.
- By the Francisco Hidalgo Company, in collaboration with Fundación Conservatorio Flamenco Casa Patas, Madrid (Spain).
- On Thursday, November 9 at 8 pm.
- On Friday, November 10 at 8 pm.
- On Saturday, November 11 at 8 pm.
- On Sunday, November 12 at 2 pm.
Highly trained by various Flamenco masters such as Manolo Machi and Pilar Ortega, lauded at the Pierre Carden, Folies Bergère and Casino theaters of Paris, the Lyric of London, and recently at Lincoln Center in Pedro Almodóvar’s Los Abrazos Rotos, Francisco Hidalgo returns to GALA after his smashing success last year.