Visionario: The Films of Guillermo del Toro
Explore the unique artistry of Mexico’s Guillermo del Toro including Spanish filmsThe Devil’s Backbone, Pan’s Labyrinth, The Orphanage and Julia’s Eyes.
An avid fan of comic books, fantasy and horror while growing up, del Toro started in movies as a special effects makeup artist. His films are distinguished by exquisite art direction, makeup effects and cinematography (the Mexican-Spanish coproduction Pan’s Labyrinth won Oscars in all three categories), and a strong visual sensibility well acquainted with pulp fiction, genre tradition and folklore.
Where other genre filmmakers might rely too heavily on non-stop action, violent content, green-screen acting and CGI effects, del Toro has been judicious in their use, privileging old-school makeup wizardry and animatronic models. An accomplished screenwriter, del Toro also stands out for his unabashed emotionalism and delight in allegory.
Not only a writer/director on his own films but a prolific producer of others, del Toro has shepherded the work of younger filmmakers like the Juan Antonio Bayona, contemporaries like Alejandro González Iñárritu and Alfonso and Carlos Cuarón, plus a number of animation filmmakers, working in both feature film and television.
- Mexico, 1993, 94 min. In English and Spanish with English subtitles. Rated R.
- On Friday, April 19 at 9:45 pm; Saturday, April 20 at 9:45 pm; Sunday, April 21 at 9:20 pm; Tuesday, April 23 at 9:20 pm; Thursday, April 25 at 9:10 pm.
- USA, 1997, 105 min. Rated R.
- On Friday, April 26 at 10:20 pm; Tuesday, April 30 at 9:20 pm.
- USA/Germany, 2002, 117 min. Rated R.
- On Saturday, April 27 at 9:30 pm; Monday, April 29 at 9:20 pm; Wednesday, May 1 at 9:10 pm.
The Devil’s Backbone (El espinazo del diablo)
- Spain/Mexico, 2001, 106 min. In Spanish with English subtitles. Rated R.
- On Friday, May 3 at 9:30 pm; Saturday, May 4 at 9:30 pm; Tuesday, May 7 at 9:20 pm.
- USA, 2004, 122 min. Rated PG-13.
- On Saturday, May 18 at 10:20 pm; Sunday, May 19 at 4:15 pm; Monday, May 20 at 9:10 pm.
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
- USA/Germany, 2008, 120 min. Rated PG-13.
- On Friday, May 24 at 7:15 pm; Saturday, May 25 at 9:15 pm; Sunday, May 26 at 9:15 pm.
Pan’s Labyrinth (El laberinto del fauno)
- Spain/Mexico/USA, 2006, 118 min. In Spanish with English subtitles. Rated R.
- On Friday, June 7 at 10:00 pm; Saturday, June 8 at 9:30 pm; Sunday, June 9 at 9:30 pm; Wednesday, June 12 at 7:00 pm.
The Orphanage (El orfanato)
- Spain/Mexico, 2007,105 min. In Spanish with English subtitles. Rated R.
- On Friday, June 14 at 9:20 pm; Saturday, June 15 at 3:45 pm; Monday, June 17 at 7:10 pm.
- Spain/Canada, 2013, color, 100 min. Rated PG-13.
- On Saturday, June 29 at 9:45 pm; Monday, July 1 at 3:00 pm; Tuesday, July 2 at 9:45 pm.
Julia’s Eyes (Los ojos de Julia)
- Spain, 2010, color, 118 min. In Spanish with English subtitles. Digital Presentation. Not Rated.
- On Sunday, June 30 at 7:00 pm; Monday, July 1 at 9:30 pm.