Spain in DC | Cultural week 2023
On the occasion of the 100th Anniversary of Manuel de Falla’s seminal chamber opera, “El retablo de Maese Pedro,” come celebrate the diversity and richness of Spanish culture with a week of events in Washington, D.C.
The 100th Anniversary of Falla’s masterpiece, icon of the so-called Silver Age of Spanish culture that saw the emergence of such international figures such as Lorca, Dali, Buñuel or Picasso, deserves a special celebration.
For one week, we will showcase today’s vibrant Spanish culture in the nation’s capital with a series of events spanning a range of disciplines such as literature, theater, music, heritage and public diplomacy.
View the full program (PDF, 3Mbs)
- La Valentía by Alfredo Sanzol
- In Washington, D.C. | 04/20 – 05/14/2023 | Performing arts
- Written by Spanish playwright Alfredo Sanzol, “La Valentía,” a humorous tale of family feuds and supernatural secrets, begins its month-long run at GALA Theatre.
- Spain in DC | Cultural week at Georgetown University
- In Washington, D.C. | 04/21 – 04/22/2023 | Performing arts
- As part of “Spain in DC | Cultural Week,” Georgetown University hosts a series of activities including lectures, music performances, and discussions.
- Papyrus: A Conversation with Spanish writer Irene Vallejo
- In Washington, D.C. | 04/20/2023 | Literature
- Spanish writer Irene Vallejo visits Georgetown University on the occasion of “Spain in DC | Cultural week” to talk about literature.
- Entwined: A Double Feature
- In Washington, D.C. | 04/19/2023 | Music
- PostClassical Ensemble celebrates the 100-year anniversary of Manuel de Falla’s work, “El retablo de maese Pedro,” at the Kennedy Center.
- EFE Dialogues: Latin America, the everlasting promise
- In Online | 04/18/2023 | Sketching the future
- “EFE Dialogues” aim to create spaces for debate in the Americas for policymakers, experts, and journalists under the auspices of Agencia EFE.
- Spotlight on Contemporary Spanish Theater: La Ternura
- In Washington, D.C. | 04/17/2023 | Performing arts
- This staged reading of Alfredo Sanzol’s “La Ternura,” which narrates the adventure of a queen and her two daughters traveling on the Invincible Armada, is part of “Spain in DC | Cultural week.”