2nd edition of the SPAIN-USA Foundation Composer Residency at MacDowell
Spanish composers are invited to apply for a residency of up to two months at The MacDowell Colony, one of the world’s leading artist residency programs.
The SPAIN-USA Foundation is partnering with MacDowell Colony to launch the second edition of the SPAIN-USA Foundation Composer Residency at MacDowell, a residency of up to two months at The MacDowell Colony, one of the world’s leading artist residency programs.
The MacDowell Colony is in Peterborough, New Hampshire. A MacDowell Fellowship includes exclusive use of a private studio, three meals a day, living accommodations, and the benefits of working in an inspiring multidisciplinary community of fellow artists from around the world. Located on 450 woodland acres, the Colony welcomes more than 300 architects, composers, filmmakers, interdisciplinary artists, theatre artists, visual artists, and writers each year.
Several artists from Spain have already taken advantage of MacDowell residencies, including most recently XI Venice Biennale representative for Spain Luis Urcola, architect and designer Sergio Lopez Pineiro, and Spanish and Cuban filmmaker Jessica Rodriguez.
Who can participate?
Emerging or established composers from Spain working in any genre are welcome to apply.
The SPAIN-USA Foundation is partnering with MacDowell to fully support the travel expenses and a $500 stipend for two artists: up to $1500 for international travel for one artist between Spain and the United States and up to $500 for domestic travel for one US-based Spanish artist. In addition, the recipient may be invited to stopover in Washington, D.C. to perform at the Spanish Embassy, if circumstances allow.
The MacDowell Colony is providing full fellowships to the accepted candidates during the 2019 Winter/Spring season for residencies of 2 weeks to two months occurring any time from February 1, 2019 through May 31, 2019.
This is an English-speaking program with U.S. and international artists.
How to apply
- If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply using MacDowell’s standard application before September 15, 2018.
- For inquiries regarding the application process, please contact the MacDowell Colony admissions department at [email protected] or 603-924-3886 ext. 113.
- While this partnership is directed at composers, MacDowell encourages applications from all disciplines. Artists of other disciplines may wish to apply at a future date and without financial assistance from the SPAIN-USA Foundation.
- Additionally, if a composer is offered a residency but not selected as one of the two composer fellows being supported by this partnership, that artist will be responsible for the cost of their own travel expenses.
- Artists who have been accepted to the residency program and demonstrate financial need may be eligible for a travel grant through MacDowell’s own financial aid program.