2022 Spain-USA Foundation Translation Award (SUFTA)
The American Literary Translators Association and the Spain-USA Foundation announce the 2022 the Spain-USA Foundation Translation Award (SUFTA) to recognize the translations into English of literary prose works by authors of Spanish nationality.
The award recognizes translations into English of literary prose works written originally by authors of Spanish (Spain) nationality. The source language of the original text may be Spanish, Catalan, Basque, or Galician. The author need not be living for the work to be eligible for the prize.
The winner of the SUFTA will be recognized, alongside the other prizes administered by ALTA, at the Awards Ceremony held at the annual ALTA conference, and will be awarded a $5,000 prize.
- Submissions may be made by publishers OR translators for this prize.
- The book must be a translation from Spanish, Catalan, Basque, or Galician into English, and by an author of Spanish (Spain) nationality.
- The book may be translated by a translator based anywhere in the world, individually or in a team of up to, but not exceeding, four (4) co-translators.
- The book must have been published in the United States in the previous calendar year (for example, to be eligible for the 2022 awards cycle, the book must have been published in 2021.)
- Only prose books (literary fiction and nonfiction) are eligible.
- There will be no fee charged to submit to this prize.
Submissions are accepted beginning in January each year. Submissions for the 2022 awards cycle opened on January 18, 2022, and will close on April 18, 2022.
- Complete the entry form online.
- Send hard copies of the book(s) submitted to the judges requesting them. Upon completion of the submission, publishers will receive instructions for mailing print copies of submitted titles to those judges who request them. Please do not send hard copies of the book to ALTA directly. Books sent to ALTA will not be considered submitted for the award.