Iberian Suite – Culinary Events
Engage and taste an array of offerings through special regional menus, wine tasting events, and more.
Vibrant, diverse, and overwhelmingly popular, the cuisine of the regions and countries featured in the festival are an integral part of the culture. The culinary portion of the program will offer a variety of ways for the public to engage and taste an array of offerings during the three weeks through special regional menus in the KC Café and KC Roof Terrace Restaurant, wine tasting events, and more. A family space during the festival will feature recipes and games centered on healthy eating.
- From Wednesday, March 4 to Sunday, March 22. From 10 am to 9 pm.
- You might be surprised to learn how many of the foods and animals we know so well were brought to the Americas, or discovered here and spread around the globe, thanks to Portuguese and Spanish exploration. Bananas, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, potatoes, corn, pumpkin, turkeys, cows, pigs, horses… which of these were seen for the first time in the Americas, and which were brought here by explorers? Find the answers in our family space constructed from cork that features take-away fact cards about the fruits and vegetables we eat every day, plus iPads with games centered on healthy eating and a craft activity to create your own fruit plate art inspired by the incredible fruit plate panels of artist Roger Rowley.
- On Saturday, March 7 at 4 pm.
- Documentary filmmaker, journalist, and author of several books on gastronomy, Hasier Etxeberria presents a cinematic reflection on the Basque Country’s culinary history, and the notoriety of its chefs and restaurateurs, followed by a discussion.
- On Sunday, March 8 at 2 pm.
- Explore the creative culinary vision of globally acclaimed chef Juan Mari Arzak, who has spent 45 years in haute cuisine.
- On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 5:30 pm.
- Shuttle departs from the Hall of States entrance at 5:30 p.m. Tickets must be picked up at the Kennedy Center Box Office prior to departure. Participants meet at the Kennedy Center Hall of States entrance to be shuttled to a cultural center or ambassador’s residence.
- These culinary sessions during the festival introduce participants to the traditions, cultures, and environments that have shaped the culinary evolution of their respective countries. Event duration: approximately 4-1/2 hours, including KC Shuttle transport to the off-site venue, the introductory session, dinner, and return transport to the Kennedy Center. A Taste of Spain features a talk by Ramon Martinez (Executive Chef, José Andrés’ Jaleo) and a tasting menu prepared by Chef Rive Pérez Castro (Chef of the Ambassador of Spain).
- Tickets on sale (members only, $100.00.)
Presented as part of the Kennedy Center's International Festival IBERIAN SUITE: global arts remix.