Galicia Cinema and Food Festival
The Festival showcases Galicia’s talent in film and the culinary arts, amd promotes Galicia as a major cultural destination.
Galicia, Spain’s northwest region, exhibited for the first time in New York City in 2015 the best Galician cinema and cuisine by joining the Mestre Mateo Cinema Awards with the most exquisite food products of Galicia. In 2017, Galicia is back with more movies and more products.
The Galician Cinema and Food Festival is a pioneer project to showcase the Galician film industry and the region’s gastronomy. The gastronomic event is held thanks to the support of the Galician government, The Cervantes Institute of NYC and the many participating brands.
For the third consecutive year, Cervantes Institute brings together the best Galician films and gastronomy for the paramount Galician cultural event in the U.S. The winning movie, documentary and short film of the Mestre Mateo Cinema Awards 2017 will be screened in New York City for the first time, accompanied by the stars themselves. The screenings are followed by a tasting of top quality Galician products cooked by outstanding chefs.
- On Tuesday, June 27, from 7 pm to 9 pm.
- Documentary screening: Cocinando en el Fin del Mundo (Cooking at the World’s End), about the elite cuisine of “Nove Grupo Gastronómico.” Free, RSVP required.
- Cooking demonstration by Ivan Dominguez. Media invite only, limited seating.
Short Films and Second Filmmaker Meeting
- On Wednesday, June 28, from 7 pm to 9 pm.
- Short Films: Einstein-Rosen (Best Short Film Winner at Mestre Mateo Awards 2017); Decorado (Best Animation Short Film at Mestre Mateo and Goya Awards 2017); and The Suitor by Álvaro Congosto. Free, RSVP required.
- Second Filmmakers Meeting.
- Wine tasting with wines from Pazo das Bruxas (Albariño grape) and Regina Viarum (Mencía grape). Media invite only, limited seating.
Screening of Alén do Cosmos
- On Thursday, June 29, from 7 pm to 9 pm. Free, RSVP required.
- Documentary screening: Alén do Cosmos, followed by a Q&A with Santiago Formoso and the director.
- Closing reception at the Instituto Cervantes.
Screening of Esquence Monelos
- On Friday, June 30, from 7 pm to 9 pm. Free, RSVP required.
- Documentary: Esquence Monelos, Best Documentary Winner at Mestre Mateo Awards 2017.