Sara Cano and Rafael Estévez at the 35th Annual Festival Flamenco Albuquerque
The 35th Annual Festival Flamenco Albuquerque will run June 11-18, 2022 in multiple venues in the city such as The Journal Theatre, Rodey Theatre and The X Theater inside the UNM, and Tablao Flamenco Albuquerque.
The 35th Annual Festival Flamenco Albuquerque is presented and produced by the 501(c)3 non-profit National Institute of Flamenco. The Festival Flamenco Albuquerque is one of the most significant Flamenco events outside of Spain. Over 75 Flamenco artists from Spain and the U.S. perform and teach, immersing participants in a week dedicated to Flamenco. This year, the Festival features over 20 performances, including mainstage theatre, late night tablao and black box theatre, outdoor presentations, and free family-friendly programming. Festival artists teach over 40 workshops and classes in dance, music, and related topics.
- On Wednesday, June 15 at 10 pm. at Rodey Theatre, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131. Buy tickets.
- On Friday, June 17 at 6 and 7 pm. Location TBA.
- Dancer, director, choreograph: Sara Cano. Music by Alberto Funes.
This performance is an adaptation of the site-specific A Palo Seco Redux, a work awarded Best Solo Choreography and Best Musical Composition at the XXIII Spanish Dance and Flamenco Contest.
- On Saturday, June 11 at 8 pm. At the Albuquerque Journal Theatre, Albuquerque, NM 87102. Buy tickets.
- Dancers, directors, choreographers: Rafael Estévez and Valeriano Paños.
- Dancers: Alberto Sellés, Jesús Perona and Jorge Morera
- Music by Vicente Gelo; guitar by Claudio Villanueva and percussion by Ivan Mellén
Winner of the Spanish National Dance Prize for Choreography in 2019, Estévez/Paños y Compañía present a new exploration into Flamenco’s multifaceted evolution, featuring 5 male dancers of Danza Estilizada and Flamenco.
Rafael Estévez will also take part in the Fiesta Flamenca on Saturday, June 18 at 8 pm at the Journal Theatre, NHCC, featuring some other Spanish dancers and the American Flamenco Repertory Company.