Euroasia Shorts 2019
Running May 31–June 7, this year’s edition of “Euroasia Shorts” presents a selection of short films from Europe, Asia, and the United States that will be screened at embassies and cultural centers throughout Washington, D.C.
EuroAsia Shorts presents an annual week of short films from Europe, Asia, and the United States screened at embassies and cultural centers throughout Washington, D.C. The theme for EuroAsia Shorts 2019 is youth.
Few things are as universal as youth, although how we experience it varies greatly. It can be full of hardship, hard lessons, mentors, monsters, love, dreams, or all of the above. The experience can also be just as vivid and lasting for a wide-eyed child, a young adult coming of age, digital natives navigating social media, international students, millennials facing a changing global workforce, and even those who simply remain young at heart. Regardless of place or generation, the emotional impact of our youth needs no translation.
Spain & Indonesia at EuroAsia Shorts 2019
- On Wednesday, June 5 at 6:30 pm.
- At the Former Residence of the Ambassadors of Spain, 2801 16th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009.
- Directed by Farrah Aulia Azliani, Indonesia, 2018, 6 minutes. With English subtitles.
- Satu is a short film that tries to talk about human differences through a metaphor. Different people representing different backgrounds, gender, religions, and economic status are part of a circle.These people regard their differences as something important in carrying out social life and do not realize that real differences are made so that each human being is complementary to each other.
- Directed by Haidarjati Pandita, Indonesia, 2018, 5 minutes. With English subtitles.
- Minem is considered a nice and friendly student in his school. One day, when going to class, he sees one of his schoolmates bumping into a girl and knocking her down. Minem quickly helps the girl, and after helping her, he finds himself outside the school again. When he enters the school once more, he sees the exact same scene repeating –a girl knocked down after bumping into his schoolmate.
- Directed by Manuela Burló Moreno, Spain, 2013, 4 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles.
- Is there anything greater than mutual understanding between two girlfriends sharing a bag of sunflower seeds?
- Directed by Susana Casares Domingo, Spain, 2016, 15 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles.
- Pushed by the fear of losing her friends, Silvia has invited them to a sleepover. But things can be complicated when your home is not exactly what your friends may call a home.
Closing night (all countries + USA)
- On Friday, June 7 at 6 pm.
- At the Embassy of Italy, 3000 Whitehaven St. NW Washington, DC 20008.
Un día en el parque
- Directed by Diego Porral, Spain, 2017, 7 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles.
- A monologue by a grandfather who explains to his grandkid how things used to be - or maybe how they are now.