Spanish Films at San Diego Latino Film Festival
Celebrating 21 years, the 11-day film festival presents four Spanish Films: ‘Serrat y Sabina: El simbolo y el cuate,’ ‘Una pistola en cada mano,’ ‘Violet’ and ‘Viral.’
San Diego Latino Film Festival hosts guest filmmakers’ appearances, workshops, live music, art exhibitions and gala celebrations. Spanish films:
- Directed by Francesc Relea, Spain, 2013, 83 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles. Watch trailer.
- On March 21 at 7:30 pm and March 22 at 4:30 pm.
- Go on the road with Joan Manuel Serrat, an icon of Latin American music, and his talented companion, Joaquin Sabina, for an amazing exploration into their world music tour. In this wild romp of a documentary, the viewer will not only get to share time with music legends, but get a first hand look into their creative process. Both subjects express an uncanny vulnerability and openness to the camera, making their discussions all the more interesting.
- Directed by Cesc Gay, 2012, 95 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles. Watch trailer.
- On March 14 at 8 pm, March 19 at 7 pm, March 23 at 5:30 pm.
- Cesc Gay’s intricate and comedic mosaic explores the intersecting lives of multiple Spanish men going through various changes in their love lives. S. (Javier Camara) would like to reconcile with his estranged wife despite her relationship with another man, while G. (Ricardo Darin) discovers an act of infidelity by pure accident. Theren there’s P (Eduardo Noriega) and L. (Luis Tosar), but suffering from bouts of insecurity in bed. The fates align as each man comes together at a dinner party in hilariously ironic fashion.
- Directed by Luiso Berdejo, USA / Spain, 2013, 90 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles. Watch trailer.
- On March 14 at 8 pm, March 17 at 7 pm, March 20 at 8 pm.
- Alex is a young guy from Spain, who lives in Santa Monica, California. One day, he falls in love with a girl in an old Polaroid and decides to look for her, even if he doesn’t have a clue about who she is, her whereabouts or how long ago the picture was taken. As the days go by, the search will lead Alex to his deceased grandfather whom he loved so much and to the most secret and authentic corners of his soul. This tale of happenstance and desire is both charming and romantic, and co-stars Ricardo Darin and Carlos Bardem.
- Directed by Lucas Figueroa, 2013, 95 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles. Watch trailer.
- On March 16 at 9:45 pm, March 22 at 10:15 pm..
- Part comedy, part ghost story, this film tells the story of Raul, a young Spaniard participating in a competition to gain 100,000 social media fans in one week. The hook is that he must spend the whole time locked up in a technology store and broadcast his experiences to the public. When haunted spirits begin to appear at night, Raul uncovers a mystery that goes far deeper than he suspects. Blending elements of satire and horror, Lucas Figueroa’s film is a surprisingly resonant genre film.