The Light of Hope and Krisis at JxJ
Now in its 29th year, the Washington Jewish Film Festival presents a robust lineup of international film premieres, including the Spanish movies “Light of Hope” by Sílvia Quer and “Krisis” by Daniel F. Amselem.
Presented by the Edlavitch DCJCC, JxJ is a multidisciplinary arts project that encompasses the Washington Jewish Film Festival and the Washington Jewish Music Festival alongside original cutting-edge hybrid arts programming –all presented as one massive three-week experience, taking over the greater Washington region from May 8-26.
The Light of Hope
- On Sunday, May 12 at 6:15 pm. At E Street Cinema, 555 11th St NW, Washington, DC 20004. Buy tickets.
- On Saturday, May 25 at 3:45 pm. At AFI Silver Theatre, 8633 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring, MD 20910. Buy tickets.
- Directed by Sílvia Quer, Spain, 2018, 96 minutes.
- In Spanish, Catalan, and French with English subtitles. Watch trailer.
In the early 1940s, refugees from all over Europe sought shelter in the south of France on the northern Catalan Spanish border, fleeing persecution from the Nazis and Franco’s regime, and the horrid conditions of the Vichy camps and Spanish Civil War. Among them were countless pregnant women and their little children. The internment camps offered these families little to no medical attention nor protection from the cold. Enter young Red Cross nurse Elisabeth Eidenbenz, who transformed an old villa into a birth clinic to save hundreds of mothers and children from certain death.
- On Sunday, May 12 at 4:15 pm. At E Street Cinema, 555 11th St NW, Washington, DC 20004. Buy tickets.
- On Thursday, May 23 at 6:45 pm. Part of Two Jews Walk Into a Bar (Bar Crawl). Buy tickets.
- Directed by Daniel F. Amselem, Spain, 2018, 15 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles. Watch trailer.