'Reel Women: La mujer en el cine'
A festival celebrating women filmmakers of Mexico and Spain.
Presented by GALA Hispanic Theatre, SPAIN arts & culture and the Mexican Cultural Institute, Reel Women will feature five contemporary films that depict the world as women experience it, and a panel discussion about women in film with Mexican filmmaker Natalia Beristian and Spanish filmmaker Paula Ortiz. There will also be a special screening of the iconic 1940s Mexican film, Maria Candelaria, starring the great Dolores del Río.
The festival is curated by Marta Sánchez of PRAGDA, a film distribution company created to promote, disseminate, and maintain the legacy of Spanish and Latin American cinema through unique cultural initiatives and Carlos Gutiérrez of Cinema Tropical in New York, the leading presenter of Latin American cinema in the U.S.
- Wednesday, December 11
- At 7 pm: She Doesn’t Want to Sleep Alone (No quiero dormir sóla), Natalia Beristain, Mexico, 2012, 82 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles. Cast: Mariana Gajá, Adriana Roel, and Arturo Beristain. Watch trailer.
- At 8:30 pm: Discussion with director Natalia Beristain, moderated by Carlos Gutiérrez, and followed by a reception hosted by the Mexican Cultural Institute.
- Friday, December 13
- At 7 pm: Chrysalis (De tu ventana a la mía), Paula Ortiz, Spain, 2011, 95 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles. Cast: Maribel Verdú, Leticia Dolera, Luisa Gavasa and Roberto Álamo. Watch trailer.
- At 8:45 pm: Panel discussion on women filmmakers from Mexico and Spain with Paula Ortiz and other filmmakers, followed by a reception hosted by the Embassy of Spain.
- Saturday, December 14
- At 2 pm: special screening of Maria Candelaria, Emilio Fernández, Mexico, 1944, 102 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles. Cast: Dolores del Río and Pedro Armendáriz. Watch trailer.
- At 7 pm: Perdida, Viviana García Besné, Mexico, 2010, 93 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles. Cast: Guillermo Calderón, José Luis Calderón, Mate Calderón, and Ricardo Montalbán. Watch trailer.
- At 9 pm: Nora’s Will (Cinco días sin Nora), Mariana Chenillo, Mexico, 2010, 90 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles. Cast: Fernando Luján, Ari Brickman, Verónica Langer, and Cecilia Suárez. Watch trailer.
- Sunday, December 15
- At 2 pm: The Plague (La Plaga), Neus Ballús, Spain, 2013, 85 minutes. In Spanish with English subtitles.Cast: Rosemarie Abella, Maribel Martí, Raül Molist. Watch trailer.
Free. Suggested donation of $10 to support GALA Hispanic Theatre's educational community programming. With Spanish Director Paula Ortiz in attendance on December 13th.