La Revoltosa at GALA Hispanic Theatre
GALA Hispanic Theatre opens its season 22-23 with a production of a contemporary version of the Spanish classic “La Revoltosa.”
La Revoltosa (The Troublemaker)
- On Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays at 8 pm and Sundays at 2 pm.
- By Paco Gámez (Spain), based on the text by J. López Silva and C. Fernández Shaw, with original music by Ruperto Chapí.
- Directed by José Luis Arellano. Music Direction by David Peralto.
- In Spanish with English subtitles
Revoltosa is at its heart a story about an outspoken woman who upturns traditions with her neighbors and delights in exposing social hypocrisies. This popular zarzuela reveals the different perspectives of men and women in relationships at different stages of love —married couples who have stopped loving and young lovers exploring their first flirtation.
The ensemble features guest artists mezzo-soprano Laura Virella (Mari Pepa) and Joselu López (Felipe), who are making their GALA debut; baritone Alex Alburqueque (Candelas), also making his GALA debut; and GALA company members mezzo-soprano Anamer Castrello (Manuela) and Luz Nicolás (Gorgonia), a Helen Hayes Award nominee. Other ensemble members include Camila Taleisnik (Encarna), Christian Laguna (Tiberio), Fran Tapia (Soledad), and Luis Armando Benitez (Cándido), who all appeared in GALA’s hit On Your Feet! En español; and Santiago Alfonzo Meza (Atenedoro), who is making his first appearance at GALA.
- On Friday, September 9: Talk-back with Director José Luis Arellano, Music Director David Peralto, and playwright Paco Gámez (participation TBC).
- On Saturday, September 10: Noche de GALA. Post-performance reception with the artists and creative team.
- On Sunday, September 11: Talk-back with Director José Luis Arellano, Music Director David Peralto, and playwright Paco Gámez (participation is TBC).