Ignacio Prego in concert at the NGA
In celebration of the exhibition “Sargent and Spain,” currently on show at the National Gallery of Art, travel to Andalusia with a performance by the internationally renowned Spanish harpsichordist Ignacio Prego.
2022 marks the centennial of the Concurso de Cante Jondo (Cante Jondo Contest), a cultural event that showcases the art and culture of the Flamenco world in Andalusia. In honor of the anniversary, Ignacio Prego’s program of Spanish music includes sonatas by the two most important keyboard composers of the Iberian Baroque: Domenico Scarlatti and Antonio Soler.
About Ignacio Prego
First Prize winner at the 2012 Westfield International Harpsichord Competition, Ignacio Prego has been described by the newspaper El Mundo as “…one of the most versatile Spanish musicians in the Classical scene…” He has performed in major cities in the USA, China, Japan, Italy, Spain, Costa Rica, Chile, Holland, Portugal, Italy, Romania, Peru, Bolivia and Canada, including important venues such as the National Gallery of Arts in Washington, D.C., the National Center for the Performing Arts in Beijing, the National Auditorium in Madrid, the Esplanade in Singapore and the Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center in New York.
Recent highlights include:
- His debut with The English Concert and Harry Bicket playing Bach’s F minor Harpsichord Concerto in New York.
- A solo recital at St. Martin in the Fields in London and in Berkeley, CA, playing Goldberg Variations.
- Concerts with the Portland Baroque Orchestra conducted by Monica Huggett playing as soloist at the Oregon Bach Festival, Bach Harpsichord Concerti with Byron Schenkman & Friends in Seattle, a Japan/Singapore concert tour under the direction of Masaaki Suzuki, a concert conducted by Jordi Savall at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY, solo recitals at the National Gallery of Arts in Washington, D.C., the Cervantes Institute of Chicago, the Queen Sofia Spanish Institute in New York and at the Westfield Continuo Conference in Tacoma, WA.
- A live performance at the WQXR NY Public Radio as part of the Bach360 Festival
- A presentation at the NYIT Auditorium for the New York Philharmonic Insight Series and recitals with recorder virtuoso Maurice Steger and cellist Phoebe Carrai at the Frick Collection in New York and The Mansion of Strathmore in Bethesda.
- A performance at the Chiquitos Early Music Festival in Bolivia, at the XI Early Music Festival in Lima, Perú, and at the Symphonic Hall in León, Spain.
- WFMT Classical Radio devoted in january the full first edition of its new show hosted by Candice Agree, Baroque&Before, to Prego and his recital at the Latino Music Festival in Chicago.
This concert is part of the program related to the major exhibition Sargent and Spain at the National Gallery of Art on view from Oct. 2, 2022 to Jan. 2, 2023.