Festival Flamenco Gitano 2013
The Festival presents some of the most important figures in the history of flamenco as well as prodigies from today’s generation of artists.
In recent years, the San Francisco Bay Area has become a major U.S. conduit for Spain’s greatest flamenco artists. […] There’s really a vibrant scene here and Nina Menéndez has become a major force [as] the producer of the Bay Area Flamenco Festival.—NPR, The California Report
The 8th Annual Bay Area Flamenco Festival: Festival Flamenco Gitano USA will feature world-class artists from Spain, including icon of Gypsy flamenco dance, Concha Vargas, internationally renowned guitarist David Serva, godfather of Bay Area flamenco guitar, and Gema Moneo, rising star dancer of the legendary Moneo clan from Jerez de la Frontera.
There will also be a series of workshops and master classes, and a special event featuring the photography collection Flamenco Project curated by guitarist/photographer Steve Kahn. Images from the acclaimed collection edited by guitarist/photographer Steve Kahn will spark discussion among a group of artists and flamenco aficionados who lived in Spain in the 1960s and 1970s.
- Weekend One: Concha Vargas
- On Saturday, September 21 at 8 pm at La Peña Cultural Center, Berkeley. And on Sunday, September 22 at 8 pm at Kuumbwa Jazz Center, Santa Cruz.
- An icon of Gypsy flamenco dance, Concha Vargas has it all: flamenco essence, temperament, charisma, rhythmic creativity, expressivity, skill and absolute confidence on stage.
- Weekend Two: David Serva
- On Friday, September 27 at 8pm at Kuumbwa Jazz Center, Santa Cruz. And Sunday, September 29 at 8 pm at La Peña Cultural Center, Berkeley.
- This concert is a celebration of David Serva’s foundational influence on the flamenco community of the Bay Area. David Serva has built a singular style on the artistic legacy of his maestro, Gypsy guitarist Diego del Gastor (1908-1973). Serva will be joined by a group of musicians and dancers from Spain including Jose Galvez “El Duende,” Kina Mendez, Javier Heredia and Luis de la Tota.
- Weekend Three: Gema Moneo
- On Friday, October 4 at 8 pm at Brava Theater, San Francisco. On Saturday, October 5 at 8 pm at the Thrust Stage, Berkeley Repertory Theatre. And on Sunday, October 6 at 8 pm at Kuumbwa Jazz Center, Santa Cruz.
- Gema Moneo is from the legendary Moneo clan of Gypsy flamenco singers and guitarists in Jerez de la Frontera. Niece of the famed singer El Torta, at the age of 18 Gema joined Farruquito’s company and has appeared with him all over Spain and at festivals including the Bienal de Flamenco in Sevilla. Last year Gema debuted in the US with the all-star ensemble led by Diego del Morao, Fiesta Jerez at Festival Flamenco Gitano USA.