Spain at San Diego Latino Film Festival
An 11-day juried film exhibition of work celebrating Latino artists and Latino genre. The festival hosts guest filmmakers’ appearances, workshops, live music, art exhibitions, and gala celebrations.
- Directed by Jorge Torregrossa. Spotlight Films Showcase. Spain, 2013, comedy, 105 minutes.
- On March 19, 2015 at 9:30 pm.
- On March 22, 2015 at 9:45 pm.
Javier Cámara stars as Juanito, an actor who moved to New York in search of fame. Many years have passed, and he has yet to experience the success he hoped for. When his cousin comes to visit, who apparently has “everything one expects to have,” Juanito is forced to come clean about his feigned accomplishments. Both men are ultimately challenged to discover what’s truly important, in life in a comedy about taking advantage of life’s fortuitous moments.
- Directed by Álex de La Iglesia. Spotlight Films Showcase, Spain, 2014, biopic, 97 minutes.
- On March 21, 2015 at 12:20 pm.
Messi is the name of perhaps the greatest player in the history of soccer. This endearing documentary / biopic hybrid captures the spirit of the unlikeliest superstar playing in any professional sport today. Iglesia’s brilliant cinematic lens captures Messi’s awe-inspiring prowess of the sport. A true experience for any supporter of the beautiful game.
- Directed by Pavel Giroud, Juan Manuel Villar Betancort. Documania! Spain, 2015, documentary, 105 minutes.
- On March 17, 2015 at 8:30 pm.
- On March 22, 2015 at 12:45 pm.
A journey through the work and living spaces of pianist and composer Ernesto Lecuona, considered the most universally beloved of Latin America’s pianists. Three outstanding Latin Jazz piano players will guide us in this odyssey: Chucho Valdés, in Lecuona’s native Havana, who fuses jazz with Afro-Cuban rhythms; Michel Camilo in New York, who creates elegant soundscapes; and Gonzalo Rubalcaba, who fuses Latin Jazz with Flamenco.
- Directed by Rodrigo Sorogoyen. Locuras Maduras Showcase. Spain, 2013, drama / romance, 90 minutes.
- On March 20, 2015 at 9:40 pm.
- On March 22, 2015 at 9:15 pm at Digital Gym Cinema.
Romance is written in the stars for two strangers that meet at a party. After a long night of flirting, meaningful conversations, and an unexpected bit of streaking, the two decide to spend the night together. An unexpected twist then reveals something darker and more sinister, in this tale that pushes relationships to realms of erratic and incomprehensible human behavior.
- Directed by Geoffrey Cowper. Spotlight Films Showcase. Spain, 2014, action, 80 minutes.
- On March 20, 2015 9:50 pm
- On March 21, 2015 10:15 pm
On his first weekend of parole after 5 years in prison, Mark Rodriguez witnesses the armed robbery of a security van. His brother’s critical situation and his own feelings of remorse will lead him to take desperate measures. His only help will be a young and sexy stripper he met the night before. This electric and grungy thriller paints a picture of desperation in a world devoid of hope.
Relatos Latinos Showcase
On March 17, 2015 5:00 pm at AMC Fashion Valley 18.
- Directed by Toni Bestard. Spain, 2014, drama, 18 minutes.
- A sound technician who specializes in foley effects, has a small accident that forces him to work from home for a few days. During that time, a new neighbor moves into the building across from him, and becomes his new sound muse.
- Directed by Laura Ferres. Spain, 2014, drama, 19 minutes.
- Leo’s life is in chaos. She lost her job and she’s in love with someone who doesn’t love her back anymore. When her mother has no choice but to leave her dog in Leo’s care, Leo sees it as an opportunity to demonstrate to her mother that she can be responsible.
- Directed by Marisa Crespo and Moises Romera. Spain, 2015, drama, 3 minutes.
- Thimbo wants to be a football player. Malik dreams of managing his own business. Demba just thinks of going to a better place.
- Directed by Aitor Arregi. Spain, 2014, drama, 16 minutes.
- Miren is a quiet, timid person. Due to her personality, people tend to overlook her or take advantage of her. When a blouse is stolen from her store, Miren decides that it’s the last straw, and she’ll take matters into her own hands.
Cortos Españoles Showcase
On March 19, 2015 5:00 pm at AMC Fashion Valley 18.
- Directed by Aitor Gutierrez. Spain, 2014, comedy, 16 minutes.
- Three elderly men have fun spying on a woman in her apartment through binoculars, from a covered swimming pool in a sports centre. One day, Luis, Dario and Pedro witness an incident that can’t be undone.
- Directed by Kote Camacho. Spain, 2014, drama, 6 minutes.
- Eugenio desperately needs a co-signer for a loan he has applied for at the local bank. With an ax in hand, Eugenio makes his way to his Don Miguel’s pharmacy to ask him for a signature. Don Miguel, a reasonable man who isn’t easily intimidated, finds a way to help Eugenio without risking his pharmacy.
- Directed by Victor Fornies. Spain, 2014, drama, 15 minutes.
- Irene wants to be seen as just another girl by the men in her town. Unfortunately, due to her job at the local slaughterhouse, Irene feels like the men don’t find her attractive and see her as just one of the guys.
- Directed by Juan Martinez. Spain, 2014, comedy / drama, 19 minutes.
- Jaime and Lucia have an important matter to discuss with their daughter over dinner. However, their daughter and her boyfriend arrive with news of their own.
- Directed by Miuel Parra. Spain, 2014, drama, 10 minutes.
- Lola is a phone operator, specializing in debt collection for a financial institution. With the ease of dealing with debtors exclusively over the phone, Lola has a cold and strict demeanor. One day, Lola picks up her boyfriend’s phone and hears very familiar words.
- Directed by Jorge Blas. Spain, 2014, drama / romance, 9 minutes.
- Raul slowly unravels the mystery behind his mother’s death, with the help of his deceased father’s ghost.
- Directed by Macarena Astorga. Spain, 2014, thriller, 13 minutes.
- Paul is speeding and on the phone, on his way to an important meeting. His car suddenly breaks down leaving him stranded near an empty town.
Un Mundo Extraño Shorts Showcase
On March 17, 2015 10:45 pm at AMC Fashion Valley 18.
- Directed by Aitor Ubarri. Spain, 2014, horror, 24 minutes.
- A mother and her daughter travel a forsaken landscape full of unspeakable monsters in hopes of reuniting their family.
- Directed by Fernando Gonzalez. Spain, 2014, horror / comedy, 9 minutes.
- When everything is lost, a raise is your only hope. The undead and the recession come to a head in this hilarious zomedy from Spain!