Kerouac Vigo Festival in New York
Spanish, Latin and American poets, musicians and performers unite word and work in a poetic synergy, knocking down walls and narrowing languages with poetry as the central axis of contemporary artistic expression.
The Kerouac Vigo Festival comes to New York to two emblematic spaces, the Instituto Cervantes and the Bowery Poetry Club, and takes street actions to the High Line, Washington Square and the ferry that goes from Manhattan to Brooklyn. #poetryonboard unites the Rías Baixas of Galicia, Spain, with the East River, in a meeting of Atlantic poets.
There will be tributes to emblematic figures from both sides of the ocean –such as Rosalía de Castro, Federico García Lorca, Jack Kerouac or Walt Whitman– performances reflecting on the emigration from Europe to America and vice versa, spoken word in Spanish, hip hop in Galician language. These are some of the proposals that brings the Spanish festival to the Big Apple.
With Bob Holman, stage partner of Allen Ginsberg in the East Village, as the main figure in this edition, the festival features the Spanish-based Galician artist Francisco Álvarez Koki, Panamanian trumpeter Aquiles Navarro, Mexican poet Elisa Coronas and New Yorker Lisa Márkuson. Well-known poets and activists from the Nuyorican Poets Café or the Bowery Poetry Club, such as Steven T. Licardi, Jivepoetic or Nikhil Melnechuk, have already performed in the Spanish edition of the festival and have collaborated in New York.
- Malvares de Moscoso, Lingua Nativa books publisher in Galician and Portuguese
- Lupita Hard, multidisciplinary artist supervised by Hester Scheurwateren in the international project Apprentice Master with headquarters in Holland
- Vanesa Álvarez and Marcos de la Fuente, organizers of the event and also participating artists. She is a graphic designer in an artistic action at the Instituto Cervantes; he is a cultural activist and poet, collaborating with New York resident jazz pianist Yago Vázquez at the Bowery Poetry Club.
- At Instituto Cervantes New York on Thursday, April 6 from 8 to 8:30 pm. Free, RSVP required at [email protected]
- At Poetry on Board NYC on Friday, April 7 from noon to 1 pm.
- At High Line on Friday, April 7 from 5 pm to 6 pm.
- At Bowery Poetry Club on Saturday, April 8 from noon to 1:30 pm. Tickets: $7 online, $10 at door.
- At Casa Galicia NY on Saturday, April 8 from 6 to 7 pm.
- Flash Performances on Sunday, April 9.