Calderon’s Two Dreams
Magis Teatre Company performs “Calderon’s Two Dreams,” a repertory performance of two classics by Pedro Calderon de la Barca.
Calderon de la Barca’s work is regarded as the culmination of the Spanish Baroque theater. His two classics –Life is a Dream (1635) and Life is a Dream (1677)– will be performed by theater company Magis Theatre, an actor-driven ensemble known for making classical works enjoyable and accessible to contemporary audiences.
Calderon’s first masterpiece Life is a Dream (1635) deals with questions of freedom and choice in a confusing reality. As his career soared, he felt the need to go deeper into his own spirit; he completely re-wrote it to examine deeper questions. In 1677’s Life is a Dream the setting changes to the court of the universe. The central question of the earlier version “will this prince be a fitting ruler?” in the later version becomes “is the human being a fitting caretaker of the universe?”
- Friday, February 10 at 7 pm.
- Saturday, February 11 at 7 pm.
- Sunday, February 12 at 4 pm.
- Monday, February 13 at 7 pm.
- Thursday, February 16 at 7 pm.
- Friday, February 17 at 7 pm.
- Saturday, February 18 at 7 pm.
- Sunday, February 19 at 4 pm.
- Thursday, February 23 at 7 pm.
- Friday, February 24 at 7 pm.
- Saturday, February 25 at 7 pm.
- Sunday, February 26 at 4 pm.