Awarded Projects from Spain at Architizer 2013
Join Spain Culture New York at the Center for Architecture to celebrate the Architizer 2013 Spanish Awards winners. Three Spanish studios have received Architizer awards this year.
DOMUSae, Spaces for Culture
- Popular Choice Award and Jury Award. Presentation by architect Jesús Donaire.
- Promoted by the Spanish Ministry of Culture, the project was held in the Salón de Reinos, Madrid’s old Army Museum. Having the opportunity to use an uninhabited historic building to house temporary exhibitions has enabled the architects Jesús Aparicio and Jesús Donaire to construct an exhibition route through the building’s empty spaces. This means that the visitor can simultaneously enjoy the content of the exhibition and experiment by way of spatial transition with new ways of seeing the original building. The exhibition spaces reinterpret the original building sometimes emphasizing its original proportions, and other times manipulating them to make the route a varied journey in sensorial perception.
Pool and Spa Area for a Hotel in Majorca
- Popular Choice Award and Jury Award. Presentation by architect Cristian Santandreu and Juan Manzanares.
- In 1967, a small hotel, Hotel Castell dels Hams, was established on the island of Majorca amid the Mediterranean vegetation. Over time, and through subtle improvements and extensions, it has become one of the most distinctive hotels on the eastern part of the island. The last of the alterations, meant to celebrate the Mediterranean light and the location’s idyllic bond with nature, turned the hotel into much more than just a holiday destination. The work focused on replacing the covering and enclosure of the existing heated pool and to create an adjacent spa to supplement it. During development, the project was split into two independent zones, each designed to suit its own specific purpose. The main pool area is adorned with a series of square openings for windows in the roof that allow the light to flood into the area. The spa intended for skin treatments and relaxation is located to give the visitors the best views of the surrounding landscape and is also filled with light in all rooms where light is needed.
iGuzzini Illuminazione Ibérica S.A
- Popular Choice Award. Presentation by architect Josep Miàs.
- The Barcelona iGuzzini Corporate Building is located in a crossing point of the two main highways in Barcelona. The building has an extensive and underground part built in concrete with natural light in the store and loading spaces through skylights, since the rest of this underground programme is dedicated mainly to research.