International Spanish Music Festival: A Journey through Time, Music and Culture
Casa de España en Minnesota presents five different performances by internationally acclaimed musicians, at three venues in Minneapolis.
The International Spanish Music Festival presents a diversity of lesser-heard music of Spain and Latin America to portray the variety and richness of their cultures and traditions and to broaden the awareness of Spanish music. The repertoire includes a variety of classical and traditional music, including elements of Sephardic, Spanish, Argentinian, and Peruvian music, and covers different musical periods, from Early Music in Spain to the 20th Century in Argentina.
Each concert will begin with an introduction by the musicians, who will explain the background and cultural significance of the music being presented so that the audience can gain deeper appreciation. A reception at each performance will give audience members the opportunity to meet and ask questions of the musicians and share their reflections.
Casa de España en Minnesota is a non-profit organization officially established in 2010. It is quickly becoming recognized as the resource in Minnesota for people interested in the Spanish speaking culture, presenting monthly movie showings, Spanish conversational groups, cooking classes, and children’s activities.
- Boccherini String Trios and Quartets: Concert at St. Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral on February 25 at 7:30 pm.
- Rediscovering Spain by Accademia del Piacere: Concert at St. Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral on February 26 at 7:30 pm.
- Sephardic music from Spain: Concert at Beth El Synagogue on March 3 at 7:30 pm.
- Codex Trujillo del Perú: Concert at St. Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral on March 4 at 7:30 pm.
- Spanish and Argentinian art songs for voice and piano: Concert at McPhail Center of Music Hall on March 5 at 7:30 pm.