Cervantes in Miami
Centro Cultural Español celebrates during the months of April and May the 400th Anniversary of the dead of Cervantes with diverse activities.
This Centenary pretends to raise awareness of the life, work and era of Cervantes.The program includes:
The world premiere of El amante liberal by Josep Maria Miro at Miami Dade County Auditorium. The play is a theatrical adaption of the Novela Ejemplar by Cervantes, and was proposed by AECID. The production of the play was the result of the workshop Josep Maria Miro taught in February at CCEMiami. This play will be divided into micro plays at Microtheater Miami for the new season,1616 – Miguel y William, running from April 14th to May 15th. The season pays tribute to two great authors of the Spanish and English literature.
The artist Mario Rodriguez, known as Mr. Trazo, has redesigned the exterior of the containers at MicroTheater Miami. The new design stands around Cervantes and Shakespeare and will be ready by Thursday 14th. That day we will also have the opening of Hushed Writing by graphic designer and artist Pepe Gimeno.
On the occasion of this IV Centenary and the International Book Day, CCEMiami has prepared a full day of events on April 23rd: Cervantes in Miami, consisting of literary events, concerts, food and activities and children workshops. Artist Sandra March has designed postcards that will be given away to the public, around the figures of Cervantes and Shakespeare. There will also be a flea market with second-hand books in Spanish. The city of Miami and more than 20 organizations in the city and Ibero – America Consulates have collaborated in this program.
During the course of this year, other activities will be organized like children musicals such as Las aventuras de Don Quijote for Kids in collaboration with Sociedad Actoral and Miami Dade County Public Schools. In May, two-week acting workshops –talleres Cervantinos de interpretación– taught by Jose Luis Arellanos (director and acting professor) and Andoni Larrabeiti (movement professor), in collaboration with the professional culture training program ACERCA.
- 10:30 am: Lecture of the first chapter of El Quijote.
- 11:00 am: Award children literature Ceremony by Miami Dade Public Schools. Organized in collaboration with Miami Dade Public Schools, the Education Office of the Consulate General of Spain in Miami and Fundacion CuatroGatos.
- 11:30 am: Theater, music and dance productions organized by Miami Dade County Public Schools.
- 12:30 pm: Story-teller, in collaboration with Fundacion CuatroGatos.
- 1 pm to 6 pm: Workshop for kids to design buttons (pins).
- 1 pm to 4 pm: Flea Market: Second hand Spanish books. Activity in collaboration with SIPA.
- 1:30 pm: Peña infantil: Locos y Bajitos. Workshop for kids.
- 3 pm: Award Ceremony organized by Sociedad Actoral Hispanamericana in Miami.
- 3:30 pm: MicroKids, Microtheater for kids in collaboration with Sociedad Actoral Hispanoamericana in Miami.
- 5 pm: Literary Gathering in collaboration with Miami Book Fair. The activity will start with a presentation and wine tasting courtesy of the Winery El Vínculo, Vino El Vínculo – Crianza 2011.
- 7 pm: Lecture of the last chapter of El Quijote.
- 7:15 pm: Lute Concert by Manuel Paneque (Cervantes music type).
- 8 pm: Microtheater season, 1616 – Miguel y William.
- 1 am: End.