Sounds From Spain at SXSW
SFS is back again at South by Southwest (SXSW) festival with Arizona Baby, Betunizer, Fuel Fandango, Kiko Veneno, Lori Meyers and Soledad Vélez.
Sounds From Spain fosters and promotes Spanish music internationally and is the principal tool for Spanish companies looking to export music and achieve a wider presence in international markets. Sponsored by public and private institutions, Sounds From Spain represents the Spanish music industry and works hard to get the most exciting Spanish artists onto the international level.
This year’s lineup include:
- Arizona Baby. An acoustic rock band whose latest album, “The Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth” affects the psychedelic-folk and the more lyrical side of the group. They have shared the stage with international bands the likes of Mark Knopfler, Clem Snide and Chris Isaak.
- Betunizer. The third work Gran Veta is strongly influenced by post-hardcore, punk and noise rock. Betunizer have toured several European countries and have participated in the Primavera Sound festival in Barcelona and Optimus Primavera Sound in Porto as former Daniel Johnston’s band.
- Fuel Fandango. A duo whose key is the perfect blend of elegance, talent, positive energy and a deep musical knowledge of modern and traditional genres of electronic music, pop and flamenco. Their second album, Trece Lunas, has received a great reception in international festivals such as Eurosonic, Les Transmusicales or Arezzo Wave and will be touring in the U.S. after their participation at SXSW.
- Kiko Veneno. A pioneer in the fusion of flamenco, pop and rock, Kiko Veneno collaborated in 1979 on the legendary album “La Leyenda del Tiempo with Camarón de la Isla, writing the song I’m Flying. His album Echate un Cantecito sold 300,000 copies and is a main reference for artists like Martirio, Julieta Venegas, Muchachito Bombo Infierno, Mala Rodriguez and The Planets. It will be a real treat to attend SXSW presentation of Sensación Térmica, the latest work of this great figure of the Spanish music.
- Lori Meyers is one of the leaders of the indie rock scene in Spain. Impronta, his latest album, released in March 2013, reached number 3 on the list of Spanish album sales. Lori Meyers has been involved in the soundtrack of The Hunger Games: Burning, with its theme Man on Earth along with bands like The National, Antony and The Johnsons, Patti Smith or Coldplay.
- Soledad Vélez appeals in his second, Run with wolves, to an abrasive rock dotted with folk references. Following a successful tour of the UK, Mexico and Chile, her participation in SXSW will be her first experience in the U.S. market.
- Paella Lunch Party. On Wednesday, March 12, from 11 am to 3 pm, at West Tent, Brush Square Park:
- 11:10 am – 11:35 am: Fuel Fandango
- 11:50 am – 12:15 pm: Soledad Vélez
- 12:30 pm – 12:55 pm: Arizona Baby
- 1:10 pm – 1:35 pm: Kiko Veneno
- 1:50 pm – 2:15 pm: Lori Meyers
- 2:30 pm – 2:55 pm: Betunizer
- Official Showcase. On Friday, March 14 at 7:30 pm till late. At Lucille, 77 Rainey Street, Austin, TX 78701:
- 8 pm – 8:45 pm: Soledad Vélez
- 9 pm – 9:45 pm: Arizona Baby
- 10 pm – 10:45 pm: Kiko Veneno
- 11 pm – 11:45 pm: Lori Meyers
- 12 am – 12:45 am: Fuel Fandango
- 1 am – 1:45 am: Betunizer