Siembra, Latino Theatre Season: Los Bufones
A world premiere based on Velázquez’ mesmerizing paintings of jesters and dwarfs, “Los Bufones” brings to life these fascinating individuals –comedians and outcasts, confidantes and spies– in a richly melodic new theatre piece.
For the King’s Bufones, based on Velázquez’ paintings of jesters and dwarfs at the court of Philip IV of Spain, each day is a striving for balance in a web of intrigues and ambitions. In musical solos and ensembles, they reveal their personal lives as intimates of the royal family, as well as their privileged perspective on the crumbling order, splendor, and decadence of mid-seventeenth century Spain at the end of its Golden Era.
- Ingela Onstad, soprano.
- Christina Martos, soprano.
- Sam Shepperson, tenor.
- André García-Nuthmann, tenor.
- Michael Hix, baritone.
- Carlos Archuleta, baritone.
- Music and libretto by Ron Strauss.
- Spanish version by María Cristina López.
- Stage direction by Jean Moss.
- On Thursday, January 19, at 7:30 pm.
- On Friday, January 20 at 7:30 pm.
- On Saturday, January 21 at 7:30 pm.
- On Sunday, January 22 at 2 pm.