5th Annual 'Festival of New Spanish Cinema' in Portland
The 2012 Festival of New Spanish Cinema presents some of the riskiest and most innovative Spanish films of the year as part of Portland International Film Festival.
In its fifth consecutive year, the 2012 Festival of New Spanish Cinema consolidates itself as the most important itinerant festival of contemporary Spanish Cinema in North America. The Festival, which will take place this year from September 2012 to March 2013, will screen some of the riskiest and most innovative Spanish films of the year, while providing a space for the audience to discuss the pieces with the filmmakers.
Selected films include Paco Leon's Carmina or Blow Up (Carmina o Revienta, 2012), the popular phenomenon that has been winning over audiences since its release: Blancanieves (2012) by Pablo Berger, nominated to 18 Goya Awards this year; the incredible and emotional animation Wrinkles (Arrugas, 2012) by Ignacio Ferreras; Madrid, 1987 (2011), a sensual and intelligent encounter by two very different generations directed by David Trueba; The Double Steps (Los Pasos Dobles, 2011), Isaki Lacuesta’s gorgeously shot award-winning film; and Sleep Tight (Mientras Duermes, 2011), the latest fright by mastermind of suspense Jaume Balagueró.
- On February 7th at 7 pm. Newmark (Opening Night)
- Carmina or Blow Up
- On February 14th at 6 pm. Cinemagic.
- On February 18th at 8:15 pm. Regal Lloyd Center 10.
- The Double Steps
- On February 17th at 3 pm. Cinema 21.
- On February 19th at 9 pm. Cinema 21.
- On February 23rd at 9 pm. World Trade Center Theater.
- Madrid, 1987
- On February 11th at 8:45 pm. Cinemagic.
- On February 14th at 8:45 pm. Cinemagic.
- On February 22nd at 8:45 pm. World Trade Center Theater.
- Sleep Tight
- On February 15th at 8:45 pm. World Trade Center Theater.
- On February 17th at 7:30 pm. Cinema 21.
- On February 23rd at 6 pm. World Trade Center Theater.
- The Wild Ones
- On February 11th at 8:45 pm. Regal Lloyd Center 10.
- On February 15th at 6 pm. Cinemagic.
- On February 17th at 4:45 pm. Cinemagic.
- On February 8th at 6:30 pm. Regal Lloyd Center 4.
- On February 17th at 1:45pm. Regal Lloyd Center 4.
Blancanieves by Pablo Berger will open The 36th Portland International Film Festival. Buy tickets online.
- Feb 7, 2013 – Feb 23, 2013
Northwest Film Center, 934 Southwest Salmon Street, Portland, OR 97205View on Google Maps
Co-sponsored and organized by Pragda and the Northwest Film Center, with support from American Airlines, the Embassy of Spain and the Secretary of State for Culture – Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport.