AFI Latin American Film Festival
Now in its 22nd year, the AFI Latin American Film Festival showcases the best filmmaking from Latin America and, with the inclusion of films from Spain and Portugal, celebrates Ibero-American cultural connections.
Highlights of the festival include the Opening Night selection, The Mexican Suitcase, Chevolution director Trisha Ziff's latest documentary about a treasure trove of photographs from the Spanish Civil War recently discovered in Mexico City; Medianeras, Gustavo Taretto's quirky crowd-pleaser about two lonely people finding each other in Buenos Aires; Chilean auteur Raul Ruiz's lush, labyrinthine epic Mysteries of Lisbon, presented in a weeklong run within the festival; Bonsai, the latest film from Chilean director Cristian Jimenez (Optical Illusions), which recently premiered at Cannes; Multiple award-winner Hermano, Venezuela's Oscar selection from 2010; Brazil's Elite Squad 2: The Enemy Within, this year's biggest hit at the Latin American box office; Blackthorn, Spanish screenwriter-turned-director Mateo Gil's imaginatively updated Western about the final days of Butch Cassidy in Bolivia; Miss Bala, Gerardo Naranjo's gripping thriller about a Baja, California, beauty queen caught in a maddening cycle of drug cartel violence
Spanish Production Films @ Afi Latin American Film Festival:
- The Mexican Suitcase (La Maleta Mexicana)
- In Person: Filmmaker Trisha Ziff on September 22! Dir./Scr./Prod. Trisha Ziff; Prod. Eamon O'Farrill, Paco Poch. Mexico/Spain, 2011, color and black & white, 86 min. In English and Spanish with English subtitles. Not rated.
- Opening Night Screening: Thu, September 22 at 7:30. Also showing on Saturday, September 24 at 5:20
- 108 (Cuchillo de Palo)
- Dir. / Scr. Renate Costa; Prod. Susana Benito. Spain/Paraguay, 2010, color, 93 min. In Spanish with English subtitles. Not rated.
- on Monday, September 26 at 7:10 and Wednesday, September 28 at 9:10.
- Dir. / Scr. / Pro. Fernando León de Aranoa; Prod. Jaume Roures. Spain, 2010, color, 112 min. In Spanish with English subtitles. Not rated.
- On Saturday, September 24 at 3:00 and Monday, September 26 at 7:00.
- Dir. Mateo Gil; Scr Miguel Barros; Prod. Ibón Cormenzana, Andrés Santana. Spain/France/Bolivia/US, 2011, color, 98 min. In English and Spanish with English subtitles. Not rated.
- On Saturday, October 8 at 8:00 and Tuesday, October 11 at 9:45.
- Chico and Rita (Chico y Rita)
- Dir. / Scr. Fernando Trueba; Dir. Tono Errando, Javier Mariscal; Scr. Ignacio Martínez de Pisón; Prod. Santi Errando, Cristina Huete, Martin Pope, Michael Rose. Spain/UK, 2010, color, 95 min. In English and Spanish with English Subtitles. Not rated.
- On Saturday, October 1 at 5:00 and Sunday, October 2 at 5:15.
- Karla's Arrival
- Dir. / Scr. / Prod. Koen Suidgeest; Prod. Emily Lobsenz. US/Spain/Netherlands/Belgium/Nicaragua, 2010, color, 90 min. In Spanish with English subtitles. Not rated.
- On Friday, September 30 at 5:30; Monday, October 3 at 7:15; Wednesday, October 5 at 9:20.